Monday, July 6, 2015

Sight Word Activities & Freebies - Monday Made It 7/6/15

It's Monday and my first day of summer school, and because of that I was a busy bee this weekend making some centers for my kiddos, so I thought I would link up with Tara from 4th Grade Frolics for her Monday Made It linky.


Since I started summer school today I had to prepare some centers over the weekend.

I know my kiddos need work on their sight words and I needed a way to assess their current knowledge, but I didn't want to use flash cards. So I created a powerpoint for each of the Dolch sight words that automatically transitions after 3 seconds, since they should be able to name the word within 3 seconds. If you think you could use this you can get the file here from Google Drive.

Once I've assessed what words they know and what they need work with, I made a few activities or resources to help with that.


I made these sight word flip cards for each of the Dolch word sets (3rd grade isn't shown here, I know I won't need them this summer, so I just have to finish them before the school year starts). My kiddos can use them to read into Whisper Phones, write, or do another activity with. They are all color coded, so it's easy for me to tell a kiddo to grab the yellow words. You can grab yours here.

I also made Dolch Sight Word sticks to go with Reagan from Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits sight word stick center. You can read her post about them here. You can buy your copy of the center from her Tpt shop here. So to go with these I made the Dolch words so they would fit on popsicle sticks.


I sized the words to fit onto the popsicle stick. Cut them to fit, then used packing tape to secure them onto the popsicle sticks.


I put each set into a Crystal Light container & labeled the outside with what list it was. They are also color coordinated. You can grab your pre-sized Dolch lists here to fit on popsicle sticks of your own here.



The last thing I made for my kiddos to practice their sight words were shakers, since I had these old parmesan cheese containers laying around, so I cleaned them and got ready to put them to use.


I typed up the different Dolch lists and printed them on card stock. You can get your lists here and all you have to do is print them. 


Cutting them up was probably the most difficult part because it was time consuming and made my wrist hurt.

Here are some of the things I picked up to fill the containers with. I got salt, rice, small shell pasta, beads, pom-pons, and confetti. I got all of this stuff from the dollar store, except for the rice, but that was under a dollar from Wal-Mart.

I started by putting some of the words at the bottom of the container.

Then I added a layer of filler, in this photo it was pasta shells.

Then I added another layer of words.

Here's the finished product. Make sure to leave some room at the top so the kiddos can "shake it up!!!"



















I finished them off by putting clear packing tap on the lid so the kiddos could open them. I also labeled them ( color coded), so we can easily identify which list is in which container.


I also made a shaker for addition and subtraction facts. Addition facts to sums of 20 and subtraction facts starting at 20. If you would like your copy you can grab them here

Here are all the shakers finished.

I hope you can use these freebies to help you make some of these activities. Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. Love these ideas! Those sight words and facts are so important! What fun ways to practice.

    mybrightbluehouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!!! And will respond to each one by e-mail, make sure that you have that option enabled. If it's set to noreply-comment, then I can't respond to your sweet comment. Check your settings today so you can receive my comment back. Thanks for the love!